As defined by Dictionary.com:
The Leader of any organization is thrust into the spotlight because they are the CEO, President, Scout Executive, Chief Scout, Scoutmaster. Cubmaster or the Akela. Or the person who just happened to be there with the answers.
I have several moments while Cubmaster that I will always remember. I really liked being the Cubmaster. I got to think up and do things that were FUN. I was not the best Cubmaster, but I stole from those who were better than I. It was my job to help the Pack Go, pass on the traditions and get the Scouts to Boy Scouts. Did I have the “quintessence’? Maybe at times.
These past few years since I left the Pack, I think that I have had a few moments.
- I gave a 2010 Scout Coin to a Scout who was moving away. I asked him to continue on his journey.
- I gave the benediction at a Top Team Meeting. The prayer actually meant something to me. It was not the normal “grace” people say. “Please God, grant me the spark to imagine, the daring to innovate, the disipline to plan, the skill to do, the will to achieve, the commitment to be responsible, and the leadership to motivate.”
- Moments that I understand the Troop atmosphere and game plan. And that I am slowly making a difference.
- being asked to present in front of the District Kickoff and share my experince as Cubmaster.
- seeing a Scout progress from when I handed him his Arrow of Light to seeing him as Star.
What is your Quintessence?